The story of the Company now spans three generations. In 1925 Mr H. N. Hickley started a battery service in Billet Street, Taunton. At about the same time Mr L. W. G. Meikle started a similar service in a lock up garage behind the Crown and Sceptre Inn on Station Road, Taunton. In 1932 the businesses merged with Mr Meikle joining H. N. Hickley as a partner. Including the partners, there were just four staff.
In the early thirties a Mr Harold Towler joined as a fully trained auto-electrician and so electrical repairs to cars (carried out at the roadside) became part of the new services offered. The Company sold Lucas batteries, Lucas ignition and various other spares. In 1938 a small Jowett two cylinder van was put on the road wholesaling to customers in Wiveliscombe, Wellington, Ilminster, Chard, Bridgwater and Burnham on Sea. In 1939 Mr Hickley decided to retire and Mr Leonard Meikle took over the business.
Reviews and Ratings
We do not have any reviews about Hickleys available right now.